Translate

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The buffet of the Bible

I have not been as faithful to writing on here as I should be. Once I regurgitated the loss of my wife because I wasn't what she needed or deserved I just kind of died out. I intended to move this in more of a Christian direction but I kept trying for some long sermon. I have finally decided that unless I just start writing off the top of my head and from the bottom of my heart I will never get another post done. So, here goes...I have noticed how people who are either not Christian or have not taken the time to actually read the Bible change verses or cut off part of a verse either because they need it to fit their viewpoint or they do not want to follow all of what God says. Probably the best example is all of those people who say things like: The rich are all bad people because the Bible says that "Money is the root of all evil". That is NOT in fact what it says. It actually say "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil" (emphasis mine) As a matter of fact in Proverbs 21:20 it states: There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it. This simply means that if you are wise you will endeavor to make sure you have enough and not spend it all on stupid things. A newer translation might read...Go forth and read the book "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey so that you do not have to keep being poor all your life and making up your own biblical truths like money is the root of all evil. 
       Other times they simply take the part of a verse they can live with and ignore the rest of it. An example of this is Hebrews 13:5. Most people have heard that God said "I will never leave you nor forsake you". Unfortunately, they leave by the wayside the first part of it because it is a lot harder to live by. The first part states: Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have." How many people can easily do that? Not many---so they leave it out. The problem with that is that the Bible is NOT a smorgasbord. You are not to pick and choose which words you want left in it and which ones you are not ok with. Read the whole Bible. By the way those who are going to come back with well it says about stoning in the Bible. Does that mean we need to be stoning people? Stoning was like our capital punishment. And it was never practiced by Christians. So if you are going to live as a Christian then No, you should not be stoning people.  And the "Eye for a eye and a tooth for a tooth" from Exodus 21:24 was their law and was actually more just than what some would have you believe. It was put into place so that people would not go overboard with their punishments. How many times have you heard someone say "I am going to kill him" after they feel some one has wronged them. This law simply stated that you can get justice but not revenge. Then in Matthew 5:38-39 Jesus says: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. Ok, I am going to stop here. I am going to do something more on stoning later but there is so much to it I am going to give it its own post because I want to try to do it justice.

1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

 Hebrews 13:5 King James Version (KJV)

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment